Your Destination for Information
If you like Overdrive, or are interested in getting free e-books and audiobooks, HCPL has a new service called Axis360. It comes in two major formats: a Windows PC program that will allow you to read books on your computer screen, and a mobile app that can handle both e-books and audiobooks (currently available for iOS, Android, and Amazon devices).
Getting Started with the Axis360 Website
1. Go to the library's website at hcpl.lib.in.us and click on the Axis360 banner:
2. On the top right of your screen, click Login and enter your library card and PIN. If you do not know your PIN, you can call any of our library branches, or contact us by email.
3. You can browse for books by choosing an age group on the left pane of the screen, clicking Browse by Subject at the top of the screen, or by viewing books that have been recently returned or newly added to the catalog.
You can also filter results by e-book or audiobook:
4. When you have chosen a book, hover over its cover with your mouse to reveal the green Checkout button, as well as a Wishlist icon. If the book is already checked out, you will be given the option to place it on hold. Note that while you can check out audiobooks with the web app, you will need a mobile device or Kindle Fire to listen to them.
Reading E-Books on a Windows PC
1. Download the Axis360 program from axis360.site.baker-taylor.com.
2. Install and open the program, then sign in.
3. The e-books you have checked out should appear on the home screen. Click the cover of your book to download it to your computer and begin reading. Note that your account will be unavailable until you have checked out your first book from the Axis360 website. Also note that any audiobooks you have checked out cannot be listened to with the PC program.
Using the Axis360 Mobile App (smartphones, tablets, and Kindles)
1. Download and install the Axis360 mobile app. On Android devices, search in the Google Play Store. Apple users (iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch) will find it in the App Store. On a Kindle Fire or Amazon Fire tablet, use the Amazon Appstore. Kindle Fire users, please note that at the current time, Axis360 is only available on 3rd generation and newer devices.
2. After opening the app, sign in with your library card number and PIN and choose a material to check out. Any materials you have checked out on the Axis360 website will also appear in your Axis360 mobile app. Click on the Bookshelf icon to begin reading or listening to your checkouts.
Your Axis360 Account
Materials can be checked out from Axis360 for up to 21 days, with no renewals. Click the calendar icon on the checkout page if you would like to choose a shorter period. All materials will be automatically returned with no late fees.
Axis360 is available to all current patrons with fines of $5 or less. If your card is expired, or if you owe more than $5, you will not be able to use Axis360 until your library account is settled.
If a title you would like is not available, you can request that HCPL purchase it by filling out a Materials Request form. Choose Axis360 under the Format option.
If you need additional help using Axis360, please feel free to call the Main branch of the library and ask for the Reference Desk.